Forum

Looking to have Timing Belt Replaced 94 NA

More
5 years 9 months ago #55 by jjr
Thanks sent him a request for a quote. What did he charge you??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #54 by Zoot
If you're still looking for somebody, I had a good experience with Mike Martinez:
www.importmotorsportchicago.com/

He works out of his garage in Rogers Park, not too far from where you're looking.

More
5 years 10 months ago #17 by jjr
Thanks for the reply but I was actually looking for any recommendations on a shop or a private party in my area to do the job. If I was going to do it myself I would wait till next Summer and probably would just get the kit from Amazon. I have zero room in the garage and would have to wait till there is nice weather ;-)

Have done belts and chains in the past on other cars in the past I just do not have the time or area to work on it right now. So I figure I would start looking around.

www.amazon.com/Gates-TCK179-Timing-Belt-...ata+bosh+timing+belt

More
5 years 10 months ago #16 by Chiburbian
I did my own because I am a cheap bastard :)

A timing belt kit costs about $60 and water pump about $50 from 949racing.com. Add another couple bucks for new thermostat and gasket while you are at it.

It takes between one and four hours to do the timing belt and pump your first time, with the extra time being if you hit a spot where you are confused or have problems you didn't for see. I cost myself a bit of time removing the radiator for space but in retrospect I probably didn't need to do that. The gasket on my thermostat also was so bonded to my water neck that it took a bit of filing and grinding to get it off which then causes a little leak when I put it all together. A fresh gasket and some coolant safe sealant fixed it right up.

I say this all not to necessarily convince you to try and do it yourself but more to give you an idea of how to know when the shop is being unreasonable.

note: I bought my water pump from 949racing because they have better quality pumps that have cast impellers instead of the aftermarket stamped steel ones. It is what they use in their race cars and for the same price essentially as the cheap autozone stuff I figured it was a worthwhile purchase.

More
5 years 10 months ago #9 by jjr
Any recommendations on trusted shops or private party to replace the timing belt, water pump etc on our 60K NA Miata. Were between 60631 and 60604.

Zero issues with the car just starting to look . I did call this place:
www.transomex.com and was given a quote for $385 parts and labor (timing belt and water pump) when ever extras were needed would be additional. Did a yelp on them and I think I would take a pass

TIA,
JJR

BTW great looking website!

Moderators: imarcr2
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds