Autocross Forum

2014 Autocross Plans

More
5 years 7 months ago #87 by dan
Replied by dan on topic 2014 Autocross Plans
I will be bringing out my new FRS for the upcoming season. The Miata will have to be sold due to the necessity for a 4 door daily driver. Bittersweet since I didn't get to enjoy it much last season.

2013 Scion FRS 10 Series
1991 Mazda Miata
Sold: 2008 Subaru STI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #85 by imarcr2
Replied by imarcr2 on topic 2014 Autocross Plans
What Mike said!

It's funny to expend all this energy when there is bound to be a new tire that will make the current crop seem like a steaming heap of poo.

Newer is almost always better when it comes to the new crop of Extreme Performance tires. I would expect it to really heat up over the next year or so due to the stock "r" comp classes getting axed after 2014

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #84 by Slider
Replied by Slider on topic 2014 Autocross Plans
The Rival feels quite a bit different than the RS3s. It requires a larger slip angle to generate the same grip. So if you drive them the same as the RS3 you will be slower on the track. It takes some getting used to. I haven't driven the Miata on the track yet with the Rivals, I will in the spring. On a lemons e30 that's a little camber challenged it took me quite a bit to get used to them. Peak grip is probably about the same as an RS3, they are better under braking compared to the RS3, past the optimal slip angle they're pretty forgiving, still a good amount of grip left. They wore really good for us, can easily go 14 hours on a set. Heat wise they will slow down after a few laps but our car is camber limited so that will be exaggerated. Judging them from autocross on a Miata the Rivals will dropoff quicker compared to the RS3s regarding to heat tolerance.

For track I would stick with the RS3, that way you can improve your driving, no matter how good you already are there's always room for improvement. If you move to the Rival now you have to learn how to drive on the new tire which feels totally different.

manmanSS wrote: I have gotten the itch too...last night I dreamed I was at laguna Seca and somehow my Miata had as LS motor in it :)

Bill what is your opinion of the Rivals for track duty, I have been very happy with the RS3's in that regard..Never got greasy even after many hard laps.

Manan

-Mike
95 Miata #46
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Slider.

More
5 years 7 months ago #83 by Berwyn Bill
Replied by Berwyn Bill on topic 2014 Autocross Plans
Picked up a RHT and doing some lightening where I can. Not a whole lot else planned unless the funds come through for a roll bar in which case I'll be doing a whole lot more lightening.

Sorry I have to miss the banquet due to work. Hope you guys have fun!

Bill

More
5 years 8 months ago #79 by imarcr2
Replied by imarcr2 on topic 2014 Autocross Plans
Hey Manan,

Great to hear from you. I hope Mike(Slider) checks in here, but word is the Rivals are really good as track tires...they use them for their lemons car.

That being said, they drive quite differently, so if you like the Kooks, I would stick with them. I think a RS-4 can't be too far away since the current tire is about 5 years old

More
5 years 8 months ago #77 by manmanSS
Replied by manmanSS on topic 2014 Autocross Plans
I have gotten the itch too...last night I dreamed I was at laguna Seca and somehow my Miata had as LS motor in it :)

Bill what is your opinion of the Rivals for track duty, I have been very happy with the RS3's in that regard..Never got greasy even after many hard laps.

Manan

Moderators: imarcr2
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds