Autocross Forum

Alignment settings?

More
5 years 9 months ago #119 by handyjoe
Replied by handyjoe on topic Alignment settings?
Yep, I had those two backwards. FM wants more rear, 949 wants more front. I'll try more front.

I found that yesterday, but can't check it out on my work computer. I need to check that out when I get home.

'99 10AE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #117 by Slider
Replied by Slider on topic Alignment settings?
I'm pretty sure 949 recommends more front camber. It makes sense too, if you're bored or curious these are the miata camber curves (java required to view) www.virkki.com/jyri/miata/camber/

handyjoe wrote: Thanks!

I'm interested by swapping the camber bias. FW seems to recommend more front, 949 recommends more rear.

I'll give those a shot. The lower numbers, anyways.

I'm definitely getting out to an autocross or three this year. It's been way too long since I've done any competitive driving.

-Mike
95 Miata #46

More
5 years 9 months ago #116 by handyjoe
Replied by handyjoe on topic Alignment settings?
Thanks!

I'm interested by swapping the camber bias. FW seems to recommend more front, 949 recommends more rear.

I'll give those a shot. The lower numbers, anyways.

I'm definitely getting out to an autocross or three this year. It's been way too long since I've done any competitive driving.

'99 10AE

More
5 years 9 months ago #110 by Slider
Replied by Slider on topic Alignment settings?
Welcome!

Looks good pretty conservative alignment. I would change the front and rear camber. So -1.3 front and -1.0 rear or -1.0 front and -0.7 rear. The front and rear camber curves are different on the Miata. The rear cambers out more for the same amount of compression compared to the front. So if you want the tires to have the optimum grip, you want more camber in the front (.3 to .4 degrees more) to compensate for the more aggressive camber curve in the rear. That will also give you a more neutral setup. Having more camber in the rear will work fine, just at the limit the car will be more pushy/understeer.

Hope to see you out there at the autocrosses!
-Mike

-Mike
95 Miata #46
The following user(s) said Thank You: handyjoe

More
5 years 9 months ago #105 by handyjoe
Alignment settings? was created by handyjoe
Hey guys,

I'm new in the Miata world, having picked up a '99 10AE back in November. I've been looking into alignment settings, and actually have been to Abe and Doc's for a failed try at an alignment. After replacing all the camber bolts, I'm going to try again hopefully next weekend.

Mark suggested I talk with the experts of the WCMC to get some better ideas of what I'm looking for in an alignment. So...here I am!

Setup:
Stock 10AE suspension
Stock wheels with new tires (not yet purchased, but likely BFG Comp-2)

Usage:
3 season DDish (when I'm not on my motorcycle)
At least one long road trip planned for this spring.
A few AutoXs this season (as many as the schedule allows, but likely 3-4).

I've poked around with different websites trying to find a setup that will give a good grip/tire wear ratio. I've come up with the following as a combination of various sources.

FRONT:
Caster: 5
Camber: -0.7
Toe: 1/16 out
REAR:
Camber: -1.2
Toe: 1/16 in

Am I totally off base? How does this setup look to you guys?

Thanks!

'99 10AE

Moderators: imarcr2
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds